North Berwick Harbour
A great place just to sit and relax and take in the view on Land and Sea from the North Berwick Harbour. Watch the boats in the harbour, take boat trips to see the gannets, puffins and other birdlife in the area and around the islands of Bass Rock and Craigleith. Pick-up a freshly caught North Berwick Lobster from the fishermen or have a bite to eat. Pop into the Firth of Forth Lobster Hatchery or watch the East Lothian Yacht Club or the North Berwick Rowing Club out on the water. During the Summer ‘Fringe by the Sea’ has a number of venues here and the Law race begins and finishes here.
The oldest remaining part of the harbour is the “Auld Kirk Green” or “Anchor Green”. This lies on the opposite site of the original harbour island from the dock. St. Andrews Kirk (church). Excavations have revealed it was built on the foundations of an older church or pagan temple – built in 1177 and used by pilgrims to pray for safe passage across the water. It later became the North Berwick Parish Church, which precipitated the construction of first a bridge and finally a causeway to the harbour island.
Visited 1953 times, 2 Visits today